Set a challenge.....
We were posed a challenge by one of our energy consultancy customers - to not only project manage a refurbishment of the apartment in South Kensington but also to make the Apartment as efficient as possible. The Apartment is in a classic block on Queens Gate Terrace, near Gloucester Road, in the heart of South Kensington.
Working within a large building on a leasehold courtyard flat did pose a number of challenges especially as the Apartment had been subject to water damage from a leaking washing machine on one of the floors above. The incoming gas supply had also corroded to the point that the gas pressure was not enough to use a conventional or combi boiler.
Our team and approved sub contractors focused on delivering the following:
- Removing the existing plaster on the walls and ceilings back to the bare brick and lining with insulated boards, finishing and painting.
- Rewiring the existing electrics, upgrading the incoming supplying fuse boards.
- Installation of an efficient electric boiler with new wet heating system and controller.
- Installation of LED down lighters across the Apartment
- New bathroom with fittings designed to reduce water usage
- New kitchen with modern and energy efficient appliances
Room for improvement
There are a number of areas that did not get completed as part of the project. These include the replacement of the windows for Sash double/triple glazing alongside better ventilation. This was mainly due to access issues from the outside of the Apartment.
The project has been completed and has been hailed a success by the owner and the tenant lucky enough to be living there after the works had been completed. There is no longer a monthly gas bill and electricity (even with the new Electric Boiler) is no more than before the upgrade.
The Apartment is currently for sale with Hamptons Knightsbridge