Powering Broadmead Academy using the Sun
The team at Bright Spark in partnership with Ecosphere Renewables have just completed the implementation of a 50KWp Solar PV system at Broadmead Primary Academy in Croydon, South London.
Broadmead Primary Academy recently benefitted from a new roof so was ideal to install a 50KWp Solar PV array. The system has been designed specifically to maximise the impact of the baseload of the Academy minimising any exported energy.
The project threw up some surprises during installation with a missing phase on the incoming power connection to the grid that was not identified by the District Network Operator. Collectively we adapted the design to work on a multiple single phase installation at no further cost to the customer.
Some facts and figures on the project:
- Installation of 192 Bisol 260W Solar Panels and 9 Solis Inverters
- Estimated to generate 48,100 kWhs per annum - approximately 35% of the Academies electricity requirements onsite
- Installed by Eco Sphere - REAch2 Strategic Solar PV Partner
- Funded by Less is More Capital Social Enterprise Fund
- Significant reduction in CO2
- Benefit from the FITs subsidisies for the next 20 years
Estimated kWh generation by Solar PV at Broadmead